Inspired by patient-scientist Dr. Tom Marsilje, who co-founded COLONTOWN’s clinical trials neighborhoods, this new program trains participants to educate community members about clinical trials as a treatment option and to guide patients in identifying and pursuing appropriate clinical trial options.
In 2020, the Navigator program will be launched with two core components:
1. Navigator Training Workshop
Presented in collaboration with Fight CRC, the inaugural workshop will allow attendees to
- Share in-depth knowledge about the Late-Stage MSS Trial Finder and other trial-finding resources
- Learn about relevant biomarkers and other factors than can help patients narrow their trial options
- Learn about genomic testing related to clinical trial selection
- Practice conversation techniques for helping patients clarify their goals for participating in clinical trials
- Lay the groundwork for implementing a trial navigation program in COLONTOWN
2. Oncology Research Conference Program
Navigators attend selected oncology research conferences to engage directly with investigators and gain a more holistic understanding of how clinical research, patient care, and industry interact.