PALTOWN Empowering Patient Leaders Workshops℠
Community Leadership and Education Program
- 1 1/2 day program for current and aspiring COLONTOWN community leaders
- 2019 locations: Boston, Minneapolis, and San Diego
- Attendees develop leadership skills, learn best practices in community management, and become certified as "Empowered Patient Leaders."
The centerpiece of the PALTOWN model is the experienced peer/patient leader. Discussion in all of the many neighborhoods in our colorectal cancer community (COLONTOWN) thrives because of the commitment and care of the dozens of volunteer community leaders. The work these leaders do in helping to welcome new members, foster connections between members, and keep the online commons a safe and civil place for all is critical to the success of COLONTOWN.
PALTOWN is dedicated to training community leaders for the benefit of everyone in our communities.
Grass Roots Support
- Funding for the Inaugural Workshops comes in part from our community; the project was launched by a successful series of online fundraisers by community members.
- All of our current community leaders began as citizens of COLONTOWN; patients and caregivers who stepped forward to help create the neighborhoods and nurture the conversations.
Continuing Education - the Community Leadership Knowledgebase
- The Workshops will also generate resources for PALTOWN's Community Leadership online education offering, to eventually include:
- An illustrated handbook of community leadership best practices
- Video library covering topics including acclimating new members, handling death and grief, and dispute resolution
- Resources to keep abreast of the rapidly changing landscape of clinical trials and treatment advances
- Externally developed community management resources